Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I love nuts - just like me! I like the flavor they give the rice. So this time, I decided to go with the pistachios. They make a lot of rice here at the home so we decided to try and make a few changes. The nuts & cheese are added at the end, so there was no problem with our older residents'.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter or 1⁄4 cup unsalted margarine or 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped in large pieces (to be discarded after infusing butter)
- 1 large yellow onions or 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 3⁄4 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white vermouth or 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped pistachios
- Melt butter, margarine or olive oil in a large skillet over medium-heigh heat; add garlic and saute for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Remove garlic from skillet.
- Now, add onion, and saute 5 minutes.
- Add saffron, and saute 1 minute.
- Add rice, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium; add vermouth and 2 cups chicken broth.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed.
- Repeat procedure with remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time.
- Cooking time is 30-45 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in cheese and pistachios.