Recipe by Sydney Mike
Here's a recipe from the 2006 William-Sonoma cookbook, 'desserts' & is right up my alley, what with rice combined with these nuts! If serving the pudding cold, the preparation time does not include time needed to chill!
- 6 cups milk (low-fat or whole)
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon lemon zest, minced
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (opional)
- 1⁄2 cup pistachios, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, combine milk, condensed milk & rice & bring to boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to maintain a low simmer & cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Add cardamom, vanilla & 2/3 of the apricots, & cook until rice is tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in zest & cream, if using it.
- Garnish with pistachios & the remaining apricots, & serve warm or cold.
- If serving cold, press parchment/baking paper directly onto surface of pudding to prevent a skin from forming, & chill at least 3-4 hours (or overnight if desired).