Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
From Martha Stewart web site. This is very smooth-tasting and pleasantly delightful. You have to like pistachios(as do I)!
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsalted butter, room temp
- 3⁄4 cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup shelled salted pistachios, ground to a paste in a food processor
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped salted pistachios
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (no sneaking the bottled stuff!)
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted pistachios (chopped into slivers)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Coat two 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Line with parchment; spray parchment, and dust with flour, tapping out excess.
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, cream cheese, and pistachio paste until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce speed to medium-low.
- Gradually add sugar; beat until smooth.
- Scrape down side of bowl.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, and vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low.
- Add flour and salt; beat until just combined.
- Fold in chopped pistachios.
- Divide batter among pans; smooth tops.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted into centers comes out clean, about 1 hour 35 minutes.
- Let cool in pans 20 minutes.
- Unmold, and remove parchment.
- Let cool.
- Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl until smooth.
- Pour through a sieve into another bowl.
- Use immediately.
- Drizzle cakes with icing, and sprinkle with pistachio slivers.