Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a slight change from the original pesto. Lemon zest keeps it lively. Pistachio's keeps it a little cheaper then pine nuts. If you don't like cilantro use all basil. I myself love cilantro. Serve over hot pasta, dollop of pesto in vegetable or chicken soup, use pesto instead of your favorite spread on your sandwich, top a pizza with it and spread some on salmon or chicken then bake.
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh basil
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro
- 1 cup shelled dry roasted pistachio nut
- 2 -3 cloves garlic
- 1⁄4-2⁄3 cup olive oil or 1⁄4-2⁄3 cup pistachio oil
- 1 teaspoon lemons, zest of or 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup grated asiago cheese
- Put all of the ingredients in the food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- Start with 1/4 cup oil adding more if you need.
Oh Rita, I had no idea this combination could be so good! I used some on paninis and froze the rest into a mini muffin tray resulting in the photo I submitted. Excellent flavor and a great variation on the usual pesto. Thanks!
One of the best pestos I have ever made, I really recommend this! I used all basil and also added a little lemon juice for that tiny extra kick for our tastes. The pistachios were wonderful once I forcibly explained to my husband that he wasn't allowed to eat them out of my measuring cup! Really delicious, I think I like this even better than the traditional pesto - thanks Rita!
Crazy good. We could not stop eating it. Double the recipe if you can.