Recipe by AZ to AK
This is a bit of a tropical take on the Mexican wedding cookie. They are very pretty and quite festive because you roll the cookies in colored sugar. They look very nice on your holiday trays.
Top Review by justcallmetoni
A wonderful variation on snowballs and a must try for pistachio lovers. The cookies are delicate and tender, yet manage to have enough body to hold up well in packing. Makes them a great addition for holiday baking. I received these as a gift and loved the pretty green color. These are definitely going on my holiday tray. Thanks!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry roasted pistachios, coarsely ground
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- green colored crystal sugar or plain granulated sugar
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with a mixer for 30 seconds. Add the powdered sugar beating until is it combined. Mix in the flour until fully incorporated. Stir in the nuts and lime zest.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll each ball in green colored sugar and place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the bottoms are lightly browned. Cool the cookies for 5 minutes on the cookie sheets. Remove warm cookies and roll in additional powdered sugar to coat. Place cookies on wire racks to cool completely.
- Cookies can be frozen for up to three months in an airtight container.