Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a bit of a tropical take on the Mexican wedding cookie. They are very pretty and quite festive because you roll the cookies in colored sugar. They look very nice on your holiday trays.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry roasted pistachios, coarsely ground
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- green colored crystal sugar or plain granulated sugar
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with a mixer for 30 seconds. Add the powdered sugar beating until is it combined. Mix in the flour until fully incorporated. Stir in the nuts and lime zest.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll each ball in green colored sugar and place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the bottoms are lightly browned. Cool the cookies for 5 minutes on the cookie sheets. Remove warm cookies and roll in additional powdered sugar to coat. Place cookies on wire racks to cool completely.
- Cookies can be frozen for up to three months in an airtight container.
A wonderful variation on snowballs and a must try for pistachio lovers. The cookies are delicate and tender, yet manage to have enough body to hold up well in packing. Makes them a great addition for holiday baking. I received these as a gift and loved the pretty green color. These are definitely going on my holiday tray. Thanks!