Prep 3 hrs
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is in response to a request. It's an Emeril recipe from 2001.
- 1 cup unsalted shelled pistachio
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk (do not use low-fat or nonfat)
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 12 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup whipped cream, for garnish
- 1 cup unsalted shelled pistachio, toasted,coarsely chopped,for garnish
- Finely grind 1 cup of the pistachios and 1/2 cup of the sugar in a food processor, being careful not to turn the mixture into butter.
- Bring the milk and cream to a boil in heavy large saucepan.
- Remove from heat.
- Combine the egg yolks and remaining 1/2-cup sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk to blend.
- Gradually whisk 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the eggs.
- Gradually add the egg mixture in a slow, steady stream into the hot cream in the saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the custard thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon and reaches 170 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 6 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain into a large bowl.
- Add pistachio mixture and almond extract.
- Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down against the surface to keep a skin from forming, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator and pour into the bowl of an ice cream machine.
- Freeze according to the manufacturers instructions.
- After the ice cream is made, transfer to an airtight container and freeze until ready to serve.
- Garnish with whipped cream and toasted pistachios.