Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
David Lebovitz's recipe. Posting here for safekeeping
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 200 g pistachio paste (preferably Bronte)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon juice or 1⁄4 teaspoon orange juice
- Make a slurry by mixing the 1/4 cup of the milk with the cornstarch, mixing until the starch is dissolved and the mixture is smooth.
- Heat the rest of the milk in a medium-sized saucepan with the sugar.
- When it almost starts to boil, stir in the cornstarch mixture and cook at gentle simmer for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, scrape into a bowl, and chill thoroughly, preferably overnight.
- Once chilled, whisk in the pistachio paste and just a few drops of citrus juice until smooth.
- Freeze the gelato in your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions.