Prep 50 mins
Cook 8 mins
Crisp buttery cookies flecked with pistachios sandwiched with pistachio flecked frosting (which may be left white or tinted a very pale green)...from a Land 'O Lakes cookie magazine. *prep time does not include chill time, which is an extra hour.*
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pistachio nut
- 1 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 -4 teaspoons half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pistachio nuts
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, blend the butter and powdered sugar; cream well.
- Add the egg and blend well.
- Reduce mixer speed to low; add the flour and salt and mix well.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350*F.
- Place the pistachios in a small bowl. Shape dough into 1/2" balls; roll each in the pistachios and place 1" apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten each cookie with the bottom of a glass that has been dipped in granulated sugar.
- Bake 7-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned; transfer cookies to wire racks and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: blend the powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, and enough half-and-half to achieve desired spreading consistency. Stir in the pistachios and a few drops of green food coloring, if desired.
- Spread the bottoms of half the cookies with a scant teaspoons filling; top with remaining cookies, bottom side down.