Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is very rich!
- 2 lbs deboned dark chicken meat
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, cut into vertical strips
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup roasted pistachio nut
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garam masala
- Cut the chicken meat into bite-size pieces and set aside.
- In a small cereal bowl put the ground coriander, turmeric, cayenne and salt.
- Set aside.
- In a large nonstick frying pan put the oil and onions and stir-fry over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Move the onions to the side of the frying pan and add the garlic.
- Stir-fry the garlic for about 30-45 seconds, and then incorporate the garlic into the fried onions.
- Add the chicken meat and stir-fry until many of the chicken pieces have brown spots, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cereal bowl with the spices and once it is incorporated into the chicken mixture add the water, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally until the chicken is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the pistachio nuts into a food processor and process as much as possible without letting the nuts get pasty.
- Next, in batches, put these nuts into a spice grinder and powder.
- Set the powdered nuts aside.
- When the chicken is done cooking, turn off the heat and stir in the powdered pistachio nuts, mixing well.
- Add the heavy cream and garam masala. Stir until everything is well blended.
- Check to see if more salt or water is needed.
- You could probably substitute almonds or cashews for the pistachio nuts.