Recipe by rand8m97
"This is a very easy dish & it’s always a favorite for my friends. Although this dish may have a lot of steps; I PROMISE YOU IT IS WORTH THE WAIT!!! :) “(Depending on how many people you’re serving; you may have leftovers). And if you can't find pistachio paste, you can make your own by- pounding freshly skinned pistachios in a mortar until it comes to a smooth paste.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 1⁄4 ounces pistachio paste
- 3⁄4 cup superfine sugar
- 7 ounces egg yolks or 10 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup raw brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 250F (120C).
- CUSTARD: heat the milk, cream, pistachio paste, and only 1/2 cup of the superfine sugar in a pot (large enough to fit the mixture) - whisk until well blended; then slowly bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks with the remaining superfine sugar.
- As soon as the milk mixture comes to a boil, gradually pour it onto the egg mixture (in the bowl); while whisking at the same time.
- After that is done, ladle the custard into your (6in) gratin dishes and place on a baking sheet.
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes, or just until the custard is set (firm).
- Transfer the gratin dishes to a wire rack or countertop and allow them to get cold (then chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- *NOTE: When ready to serve sprinkle the raw brown sugar on top of the custards and caramelize with a blowtorch; or under a very hot oven broiler to make a thin, pale brown topping.(SERVE IMMEDIATLEY AFTER).