Recipe by angelfan
from the Betty Crocker New Christmas Cookbook. Pistachio nuts make this a special holiday treat
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped pistachio nut
- 2 -3 drops green food coloring, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix powdered sugar, butter and egg in large bowl.
- Stir in flour and salt.
- Divide dough in half: stir cocoa and milk into one half and nuts and food color into the other half.
- Pat chocolate dough into rectangle, 6x5 inches.
- Cut crosswise into 8 strips, 3/4 inch wide.
- Repeat with pistachio dough.
- Place strips of each color of dough side by side alternating colors, Top with 2 strips of each color alternating colors to create checkerboard.
- Gently press strips together.
- Make second stack with remaining strips.
- Wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Cut rectangles crosswise into 1/4 inch slices.
- Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes until set.
- Makes 3 dozen cookies.