Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a rich and delightful caramel, but just a little different thanks to the pistachios. The combination sounds a little different, but believe me, it is a marriage made in heaven. My grandmother used to make these and they never lasted very long......so good!
- 2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 cups warm whipping cream, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Line an 8" square pan with foil, extending foil over side of pan; heavily butter foil.
- In a 4 quart heavy saucepan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup, 1 cup warm whipping cream and salt.
- Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Using a pastry brush dipped in hot water, wash down any sugar crystals on sides of saucepan.
- Attach a candy thermometer to pan, making sure thermometer does not touch bottom of pan.
- Cook, without stirring, 12- 15 minutes or until mixture reaches 232 degrees.
- Stirring gently, slowly add the other 1 cup warm whipping cream.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Cook 15 minutes longer, or until mixture reaches 248 degrees.
- Remove from heat, add pistachios and vanilla.
- Immediately pour into pan.
- Cool at room temperature for several hours.
- Lift caramel from pan, using ends of foil; discard foil.
- Cut into 1 inch squares.
- Store in a cool place.