Prep 50 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is fabulous! It is the kind of cake that brings WOW's from your guests! ;) I've had it for eons just never posted! The caramelized pistachio shards make the cake look & taste like it was specially baked in a high-end bakery! BH&G Magazine, published in 2002, Meredith Corp. It has an hour chilling time and an hour standing time, for which I didn't factor in the time..It has a long laundry list but you will see it all goes together quite nicely, as it has a few item repeated.;) It is truly worth it!! :)
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup sour milk
- 6 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups toasted chopped pistachio nuts
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel (can use other citrus peel or leave out)
WHITE CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (6 ounce) package white baking bar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
CARAMELIZED PISTACHIO SHARDS
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon chopped pistachios
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot water
- PREPARE PISTACHIO CAKE:.
- Preheat oven to 350º F & grease and lightly flour three 8x1-1/2-inch round baking pans; set aside.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- Beat the 3/4 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add the 2 cups sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 teaspoon almond extract; beat until fluffy.
- Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk or sour milk, beating on low to medium speed just until combined.
- Thoroughly wash and dry beaters.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Gently fold beaten egg whites into batte;.fold in the pistachio nuts and the orange peel.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center of each cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove cakes from pans and cool thoroughly on wire racks.
- PREPARE BUTTERCREAM:.
- Combine the 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour in a medium mixing bowl; add egg yolks.
- Beat mixture with a wire whisk until combined; set aside.
- Heat the 1-1/2 cups milk in a heavy saucepan over medium heat just to boiling;.remove from heat.
- Gradually beat hot milk into egg mixture with the wire whisk; return entire mixture to saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until bubbly, whisking constantly; cook 2 minutes more & remove from heat.
- Add white baking bars, 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla, and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract.
- Let stand for 1 minute; stir until smooth & transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Cover surface with plastic wrap to prevent skin from forming; cool to room temperature.
- Beat the 1 cup butter in a medium mixing bowl on medium to high speed until fluffy.
- Add cooled baking bar mixture, one-fourth at a time, beating on low speed after each addition until combined.
- Spread between layers and over cake.
- If desired, pipe decorative lines along the edges and down the sides of the cake, using a decorating bag fitted with a star tip.
- Serve immediately or cover and store cake in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
- Just before serving, if desired, top with Caramelized Pistachio Shards.
- PREPARE CARAMELIZED PISTACHIO SHARDS::.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF & line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil; coat foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon chopped pistachios onto prepared foil.
- Bake in preheated oven 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Meanwhile, place 1/3 cup sugar in a heavy 10-inch skille & heat over medium-high heat until sugar begins to melt, shaking skillet occasionally to heat sugar evenly.
- Do not stir.
- When sugar begins to melt, reduce heat to low.
- Cook for 2 minutes more or until sugar is melted and lightly golden, stirring as needed with a wooden spoon.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Stir in 1/2 teaspoon hot water.
- Immediately pour over nuts on hot baking sheet; let cool for 1 minute.
- Using two forks, gently pull caramel mixture as thinly as possible, lifting slightly as you pull.
- Let cool thoroughly on foil.
- Break into pieces; store tightly covered.