A nice plain cake to serve with coffee. Gluten and lactose free. From a vegetarian cookbook- The Vegetarian Little Big Book FOr a hint on shelling pistachios- see http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1960&dat=20021211&id=NbstAAAAIBAJ&sjid=FooFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5554,2867999
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat your oen to 350°F or 180°C.
- 2Well grease a 9 inch/ 23 cm springform round baking pan.
- 3Boil a pot of water and then plunge the pistachios in for a quick 30 seconds. remove the pistachios- drain and then rub dry with a clean teatowel/kitchen towel. Peel off the pistachios 'skins'.
- 4Place the cleaned pistachios and sugar in a food processer and chop finely.
- 5Transfer the mix to a large bowl and add the egg yolks. lemon zest, baking powder, cornstarch, baking soda (bicarb) and the salt. Stir to combine.
- 6In a seperate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- 7Fold the egg whites into the pistachio mixture.
- 8Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- 9bake 20-30 mins or until cooked through. you can use a toothpick or fine skewer to check it comes out clean. Place back in the oven for up to another 10 minutes if required.
- 10Cool the cake in the tin for 15 minutes. Remove from the tin and then cool on a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pistachio Cake (Gluten-Free)
Serving Size: 1 (59 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 218.8
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 63.4 mg
- Sodium 178.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 21.5 g
- Protein 5.7 g