Recipe by **Jubes**
A nice plain cake to serve with coffee. Gluten and lactose free. From a vegetarian cookbook- The Vegetarian Little Big Book FOr a hint on shelling pistachios- see http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1960&dat=20021211&id=NbstAAAAIBAJ&sjid=FooFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5554,2867999
Top Review by AllergyGirl
I was so excited to make this, but ultimately let down. Don't get me wrong, it's delicious. In fact, in terms of just deliciousness, I would give it 4 stars. But in terms of the amount of effort it requires and the final presentation I only give it 2 stars. That averages the total recipe to about 3 stars. Peeling the pistachio 'skins' was incredibly time consuming. I wished the recipe had more direction on how to do it more efficiently. Finally, even after thoroughly greasing the pan and following the cooking and cooling directions to a tea, my cake fell apart when I tried to remove it from the spring form pan. The outside ring stayed in tack, but the sticky middle wouldn't budge. I ended up just eating that part with a fork, and storing the outside ring for dessert tomorrow.
- 1 1⁄2 cups pistachios, weighed without shells (225 grams)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons gratted lemon zest
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch (cornflour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, gluten-free if required for diet
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda (bi-carb soda)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oen to 350°F or 180°C.
- Well grease a 9 inch/ 23 cm springform round baking pan.
- Boil a pot of water and then plunge the pistachios in for a quick 30 seconds. remove the pistachios- drain and then rub dry with a clean teatowel/kitchen towel. Peel off the pistachios 'skins'.
- Place the cleaned pistachios and sugar in a food processer and chop finely.
- Transfer the mix to a large bowl and add the egg yolks. lemon zest, baking powder, cornstarch, baking soda (bicarb) and the salt. Stir to combine.
- In a seperate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites into the pistachio mixture.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- bake 20-30 mins or until cooked through. you can use a toothpick or fine skewer to check it comes out clean. Place back in the oven for up to another 10 minutes if required.
- Cool the cake in the tin for 15 minutes. Remove from the tin and then cool on a wire rack.