1/1 Photo of Pistachio Cake from Scratch
A better pistachio cake, this one's made from scratch. A unique mixing method is employed that assures good results every time. This is very similar to my almond butter cake -- the addition of oil and the use of egg yolks make it a bit richer, but it's not dense as the additional dry ingredients in the pistachio pudding mix keep it light.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 158.51 ml sour cream
- 4.92 ml pure vanilla extract
- 395.10 ml sifted cake flour
- 78.07 ml finely ground roasted pistachios
- 236.59 ml superfine sugar
- 99.22 g package Jell-O instant pistachio pudding mix
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt (omit if using salted nuts)
- 177.48 ml unsalted butter, softened to a cool room temperature
- 14.79 ml almond extract or 14.79 ml walnut oil or 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1Combine eggs, extract and 1/4 of the sour cream in a small bowl.
- 2Cut butter into chunks.
- 3Put remaining sour cream in another small bowl with tablespoon of oil.
- 4allow all ingredients to come to room temperature while you prepare a 9-inch springform pan, line bottom with parchment, grease and flour.
- 5You can use a 9x2-inch round pan as well, but it will be a bit more difficult to unmold the cake.
- 6Toast pistachios in a 350 degree (f.) oven for 7-8 minutes, cool then grind fine, (I use a bag and rolling pin)-- if using dry measuring cups be sure to grind first then measure Sift all dry ingredients into the work bowl of your mixer and mix on low speed for 30 seconds to combine.
- 7Add softened butter and sour cream, mix on low to combine, scrape bowl, beat on medium (med-high for a hand mixer) for 90 seconds.
- 8This will aerate the cake and give it structure.
- 9Scrape the bowl down and in two additions add the egg mixture, beating for 20 seconds after each addition.
- 10Scrape the bowl one last time and give it a couple pulses.
- 11Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes, (rotate pan 180 degrees after 25 minutes) a toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean and the top of the cake will spring back when lightly pressed.
- 12Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for 10 minutes, remove sides of pan and allow to cool to room temperature.
- 13About 2 hours.
- 14It's delicious slightly warm with just a dusting of powdered sugar, topped with sweetened whipped cream or served with pistachio ice cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pistachio Cake from Scratch
Serving Size: 1 (114 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 470.3
- Calories from Fat 245
- Total Fat 27.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 211.5 mg
- Sodium 286.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 25.8 g
- Protein 6.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Jell-O instant pistachio pudding mix