Recipe by little_wing
The different flavors of the nuts make this baklava really special. I've tried many baklava recipes, but this is the one I keep coming back to.
- 1 cup pistachios, rinsed and patted dry
- 3 cups walnuts
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough, thawed according to directions
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsalted butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup mild honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Chop pistachios in food processor until finely chopped.
- Add walnuts, 2/3 cup sugar, and cinnamon and process until the texture of coarse meal, pulsing out any lumps. Set aside.
- Lightly fit 1 phyllo sheet in the bottom of a lightly greased 13x9 dish, trimming to fit if needed.
- Brush well with melted butter.
- Continue with 7 more sheets, brushing each sheet well with butter.
- If butter hardens, just microwave briefly to soften.
- Scatter a generous 1/3cup nut mixture over phyllo.
- Add 2 more sheets, brushing each well with butter.
- Add another 1/3 cup nut mixture and continue layering until all nut mixture is used, finishing with a layer of remaining phyllo, brushing each sheet with melted butter.
- Place baklava in freezer for 10 minutes for easier cutting.
- Slice in 2" wide diamond-shaped pattern. (or squares if that is easier).
- At this point it my abe wrapped with heavy duty aluminum foil and frozen if desired.
- Set baking dish on middle oven rack and place a shallow pan of water underneath.
- Bake for 2hrs and 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Frozen baklava can be baked uncovered the same way for 2 and 1/2 - 3hrs. or until golden brown.
- Combine remaining 2/3 cups sugar, 2 cups water, honey and lemon juice in a large saucepan.
- Bring to boil over high heat, reduce to low and simmer uncovered 20 minutes.
- Pour into spouted measuring cup and cool to room temperature.
- Drizzle syrup evenly over baklava.
- Cool to room temperature, cover loosely with foil and let stand overnight before serving.