Recipe by Jubal Harshaw
I first had this recipe at a friend of mine's house in New Orleans. It came from HOW TO BAKE by Nick Malgieri.
- 1 cup unsalted shelled pistachio
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 medium apricots, washed halved and pitted
- 1 cup apricot preserves or 1 cup apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons water or 2 tablespoons white rum
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare and chill 1 recipe of Sweet Tart Dough.
- Place pistachios in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, drain the pistachios into a strainer and pour into a clean kitchen towel.
- Fold towel over and rub pistachios to loosen the skins, then carefully separate the kernels from the skins and discard the skins.
- Set aside 1/4 cup of pistachios to chop for garnish, and place the rest of the pistachios and the sugar in a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
- Pulse on and off repeatedly until the mixture is finely ground, about one minute.
- Add the almond extract and one of the eggs, then pulse until the mixture becomes a smooth paste.
- Divide the butter into eight pieces then add to the work bowl and pulse until the butter is smoothly combined with the nut mixture.
- Scrape down the inside with a spatula, add the remaining egg and pulse until smooth.
- Allow the food processor to run for 30 seconds and scrape down the inside of the bowl.
- Add the flour and pulse until just incorporated, then set aside.
- Set a rack at the lowest level of the oven and preheat to 350°F.
- Roll out the dough and line a chilled tart pan.
- Spread the pistachio filling on the dough.
- Arrange the apricots, cut side up, on the filling in 2 or 3 concentric circles depending on the size of the apricots.
- Bake the tart for about 35 minutes, until the crust and the filling are baked through and the apricots are cooked.
- Cool the tart on a rack.
- To make the glaze, bring the preserves and water or rum to a boil and strain.
- Reduce to thicken if necessary.
- Brush the hot glaze over the cooled tart, and edge with the chopped reserved pistachios.
- Unmold the tart as normal.