Recipe by Dienia B.
I think this came from Midwest Living magazine. I haven't tried--sounds good.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Absolutely delicious, but then I'm a nut for pistachios! I pretty much followed your recipe, although, when it came to including the lime peel, I wasn't sure if you actually meant the PEEL of the lime or the ZEST of the lime, & I did use the fine outer layer (the ZEST), nicely minced! The 'slices' had great flavor & were deliciously satisfying! A great recipe to keep! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped lime peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2⁄3 cup pistachios, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream sugars with fats.
- Add the next eight ingredients; mix well.
- Divide dough into 2 seven inch rolls; cover and chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brush with two tablespoons milk, roll in poppy seeds then pistachios, and cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- Places slices 1 inch apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degree for 8 minutes, keeping a close watch as they are easily scorched.