Recipe by grandma2969
During kneading, the warmth of your hands softens the butter just enough for the dough to hold together.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped pistachio nuts
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon orange juice
- diced candied orange peel
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Stir together flour, sugar, pistachios, and poppy seeds.
- Using a pastry blender cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling.
- Form mixture into a ball and knead until well combined.
- On a greased cookie sheet, pat or roll dough into an 8-inch circle.
- Crimp edges of dough circle.
- Cut circle into 16 wedges (do not separate).
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and center is set.
- Recut wedges while still warm.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes.
- Transfer wedges to a wire rack.cool.
- Drizzle wedges with orange glaze and sprinkle with candied orange peel.
- Yield 16 wedges.
- ORANGE GLAZE:.
- Combine 3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar and enough orange juice (1-2 tbsp) to make a mixture of drizzling consistency.
- TO STORE:.
- Place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container, cover.
- Store are room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze undrizzled wedges for up to 3 months.
- Thaw wedges and then drizzle.