During kneading, the warmth of your hands softens the butter just enough for the dough to hold together.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped pistachio nuts
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon orange juice
- diced candied orange peel
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 2Stir together flour, sugar, pistachios, and poppy seeds.
- 3Using a pastry blender cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling.
- 4Form mixture into a ball and knead until well combined.
- 5On a greased cookie sheet, pat or roll dough into an 8-inch circle.
- 6Crimp edges of dough circle.
- 7Cut circle into 16 wedges (do not separate).
- 8Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and center is set.
- 9Recut wedges while still warm.
- 10Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes.
- 11Transfer wedges to a wire rack.cool.
- 12Drizzle wedges with orange glaze and sprinkle with candied orange peel.
- 13Yield 16 wedges.
- 14ORANGE GLAZE:.
- 15Combine 3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar and enough orange juice (1-2 tbsp) to make a mixture of drizzling consistency.
- 16TO STORE:.
- 17Place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container, cover.
- 18Store are room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze undrizzled wedges for up to 3 months.
- 19Thaw wedges and then drizzle.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pistachio and Poppy Seed Shortbread Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (508 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 151.5
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 54.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 1.4 g