Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a very easy recipe that happens to be both gluten and lactose free. I tried this recipe with some windfall oranges that were still not ripe enough to eat and it turned out great.
- 3 lemons, organic and untreated
- 300 g pistachios, shelled
- 200 g sugar
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar, for dusting
- Boil the whole lemons in boiling water for 1 hour.
- Pre heat oven to 180°C Grease and line a 22cm cake tin with baking paper Drain the lemons and Cool.
- Cut the cooked lemons in half and remove the pips.
- Puree in a blender until smooth.
- Blanch ( boil) 200g of the pistaccios in boiling water for 30 seconds then blend with the other 100g.
- Sererate the egg yolks from the egg whites.
- Whisk the yolks with the sugar until light then fold in the pistaccio cream, the lemon cream and baking powder.
- whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt till stiff. Fold into the lemon pistacchio mixture.
- Pour th emixture int th eprepared cake tin and bake for about 40-45 minutes.
- Cool, remove from cake tin and dust lightly with icing sugar. Decorate with some candied peel.
This recipe came out more like bread. It was good, but the pistachios gave it a funny taste. It was defianately difficult to follow for an American. I had to guess how much sugar to put in because I don't weigh my food, I measure it with a measuring cup. My oven is only in degrees F. So it was definately a challenge, and I might not put it on my keep list.