Pistachio and Cherry Wedding Cakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter 3 heavy large baking sheets. Using electric mixer, beat 2 cups butter and 1 cup powdered sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and salt, then pistachios and cherries. Using spatula, stir in all flour (do not overmix dough).
- Shape dough by generous tablespoonfuls into football-shaped ovals. Place on prepared baking sheets, spacing 1" apart. Bake cookies, one sheet at a time, until bottoms just begin to brown, about 16 minutes. Cool cookies on sheets 10 minutes before coating.
- Pour generous amount of powdered sugar into medium bowl. WOrking with 5-6 warm cookies at a time, add cookies to bowl of sugar; gently turn to coat thickly. Transfer cookies to sheet of waxed paper. Repeat to coat cookies with sugar again, cool completely.
- Can be made 4 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.