Epicurious January 2009
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
PISTACHIO AND ALMOND CAKE
- 314.66 ml unsalted shelled pistachio nuts
- 314.66 ml blanched whole almonds
- 118.29 ml plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 177.44 ml plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 lemons
- 2.46 ml pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 118.29 ml plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1.23 ml kosher salt
- 1To make the cake, preheat the oven to 300°F
- 2Butter a 4-by-8-inch loaf pan.
- 3Then, using a sifter or a fine-mesh strainer, dust it with flour, tapping out the excess.
- 4In a food process, combine the pistachios and almonds and pulse until finely ground; set aside.
- 5Combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- 6Grate the zest from the lemons directly into the bowl.
- 7Fit the mixer with the paddle attachment and beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes, or until smooth and creamy.
- 8Mix in the vanilla just until incorporated.
- 9On low speed, gradually add the nuts and mix just until incorporated.
- 10Then add the eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition just until incorporated.
- 11Stir in the flour and salt and mix just until incorporated.
- 12Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- 13Bake until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- 14Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- 15Then, run a paring knife around the inside of the pan to loosen the cake sides, invert the cake onto a plate, and lift off the pan.
- 16At this point, the cake can be served warm or allowed to cool completely before being sliced and reheated.
- 17To make the orange salad, cut a slice off the top and bottom of 1 orange, stand the orange upright, and cut downward to remove the rind and pith in thick strips.
- 18Cut the orange crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices, capturing any juice.
- 19Repeat with all of the remaining oranges.
- 20Set the oranges slices aside until needed.
- 21Gently heat the marmalade in a pot over low heat for about 3 minutes, or until syrupy.
- 22Add any captured orange juice along with the lemon juice to the marmalade.
- 23Remove the pot from the heat and add 1 to 2 tablespoons water to think the marmalade to the consistency of a vinaigrette.
- 24Let cool.
- 25To serve, preheat the oven to 400°F
- 26Cut the cake into generous slices and place on a baking sheet.
- 27Bake the slices, turning them over once, for about 5 minutes, or until warm and slightly toasted on both sides.
- 28Place 4 or 5 orange slices on each plate and drizzle generously with the marmalade syrup.
- 29Place the warm pieces of cake next to the orange slices and top with a dollop of yogurt and a few pistachios.
- 30Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pistachio and Almond Cake With Orange Salad
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 452.2
- Calories from Fat 254
- Total Fat 28.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 89.4 mg
- Sodium 77.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 28.7 g
- Protein 11.5 g