Recipe by Sweet Diva MJ
From Taste of Home. One of my DH's favorites.....This recipe makes a large amount which is great if you need to take it somewhere to share. It's great for potlucks/covered dish dinners - I usually make it and set some aside at home for my DH and still have plenty to share. Or, I halve the recipe if I'm making it just for us at home. Substitute the lighter versions of sour cream and whipped topping and you have an an almost guilt-free dessert.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Loved the use of a big favorite of mine, fruit cocktail, in this recipe! I followed the ingredients with one exception ~ Instead of the (optional) pecans, I used a very generous helping of pistachios on each serving! ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS GREAT KEEPER OF A RECIPE! Thanks for posting it! [Tagged, made & reviewed in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #20]
- 2 (17 ounce) cans fruit cocktail
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple chunks
- 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges
- 4 (3 1/2 ounce) packages instant pistachio pudding mix
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 (12 ounce) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- pecans, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain fruit cocktail, pineapple and oranges, reserving 3 cups juice.
- Set fruit aside; pour juice into a 4-qt. bowl.
- Add pudding mix and mix until smooth.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Add whipped topping and mix until smooth. Fold in fruit; chill for several hours.
- Top with pecans just before serving if desired.
- Yield: 16-20 servings.