Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Phirni (pronounced as Phi-r-ni) is one of the most famous desserts from beautiful state of Jammu and Kashmir. It's also one of the most popular exotic desserts served in most North Indian restaurants and tastes best when cooled in earthen mugs.
- In a non-stick saucepan bring milk and sugar to boil.
- Over a moderately low heat add rice and 1 tsp cardamom powder and stir constantly till mixture turns thick. (Don't stop stirring as the thick mixture can burn easily).
- Add blanched, sliced almonds and roasted pistachios.
- Cook some more until mixture becomes thick and smooth.
- Fill in martini glasses or mud pots. Set aside to cool. This should take about an 1 hour or so.
- Sprinkle remaining cardamom powder over the phirni and serve.
Lovely, with an exotic flavor and is smooth as silk on teh tounge