This is pizza for grownups! From"Everyday Epicurean", which I got in a swap from Evie*! Next time I make it, I may add some feta cheese to the top. We had this on our honeymoon in Provence, where they served it with a bottled of herb-infused olive oil! Delish! This could be dinner, with a salad on the side, or an appetizer, cut in little squares.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 1/2 ounces luke-warm water
- 1 tablespoon dry active yeast
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb plain flour (4 c.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 medium onions, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled,cored,seeded and chopped
- 8 artichoke hearts packed in oil, drained
- 12 kalamata olives
- additional thyme (to garnish)
- 1Put the warm water in a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over it.
- 2Leave until frothy.
- 3Add 4 tbsp.
- 4oil, then the flour.
- 5Mix well to combine, then knead briefly until smooth.
- 6Leave to rise, covered, in a lightly oiled bowl, until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a frying pan and saute onion, garlic and thyme until golden.
- 8Stir in tomatoes, increase heat to high, and cook until mixture is thick- about 5 min.
- 9Discard thyme sprig.
- 10Preheat pizza stone or metal baking sheet in oven at 500 degrees.
- 11Roll out the dough to about 1/4" and transfer to peel/floured baking sheet.
- 12Spread tomato/onion mixture over the dough.
- 13Arrange anchovies and olives on top.
- 14Transfer to heated stone/sheet and bake for 15-20 min.
- 15,until base is crisp.
- 16Garnish with additional thyme, serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pissaladiere
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 692.5
- Calories from Fat 208
- Total Fat 23.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 129.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 106.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 15.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
artichoke hearts packed in oil