Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe was adopted during the Great Adoption Drive Feb '05. This is a favourite snack in Singapore.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 bananas, peeled, halved
- 1⁄2 cup 10% cream
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Mix the flour, water, baking powder, egg and salt and let sit for about 20 minutes.
- (This is your batter.).
- Dip the banana halves into the batter and deep fry them in the vegetable oil at 325 degrees F for about 5 minutes or so until the batter is golden brown.
- Remove the bananas from the oil and allow them to drain.
- Meanwhile mix the cream, brown sugar and butter together in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the rum and be sure the sauce doesn't boil.
- Place some vanilla ice cream on a plate.
- Place a banana over the ice cream and pour a generous amount of rum sauce over the dessert.
- *Serve while the banana is still hot!