Recipe by Chrissyo
The lemon squeezed over the chicken gives this dish a nice flavour. Any chicken that is still on the bone can be used for this recipe. Pirri-pirri is also great for barbecuing prawns. If you want a milder heat in your Pirri-pirri, deseed the chillies. This recipe was acquired from a neighbor at one of our annual neighbor Christmas BBQ get togethers. Pirri-pirri always adds a little bite to a Barbie night.
- 6 birds eye chiles, finely chopped with seeds
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 maryland chicken pieces
- 4 lemon wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- For the marinade, combine the chillies, salt, olive oil, cider vinegar and garlic in a jar.
- Seal and shake well to combine.
- Place the chicken pieces in a shallow dish and pour on the marinade.
- Cover and marinate for 1 hour, or overnight.
- Cook the chicken on a hot barbecue or chargill plate or under a hot grill (broil) as close to the flame as possible, basting regularly with the marinade, for 50-60 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the skin begins to crisp.
- Serve with lemon wedges, corn cobs and steamed green beans.