Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Posted in reply to a "recipe request." I've had this recipe for some years, and I'm clueless as to where/who I got it from. The 20 minute "prep time" includes the 10 minutes to roll the baked cookies.
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground hazelnuts
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425°F Spray 2 baking sheets with vegetable cooking spray.
- Using a food processor with the metal blade, combine Confectioners' sugar and ground nuts; process until mixture is very fine.
- Add granulated sugar, flour and salt and process until well combined.
- Add egg whites, corn syrup, margarine and vanilla and process until dough is formed.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls (about 2 1/2-inches apart), onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake cookies until edges are golden (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from oven and place sheets on wire racks.
- Using spatula, place cookie on a clean kitchen towel (NOT terrycloth); and carefully roll the warm cookie tightly around the handle of wooden spoon or dowel, pressing firmly as you roll.
- Carefully, slide the cookie off the spoon handle.
- Place cookie on a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Repeat with remaining cookies.
- NOTE: Try to work quickly as you roll each cookie, they must be very warm to roll-- once they have cooled too much, they will not roll.