This recipe is taken from Emeril Lagasse's book - 'From Emeril's Kitchen'. The preface to the recipe states "This spicy Portuguese sauce is an awesome addition to any dish. Serve it as a condiment for seasoning soups or other pasta dishes to totally kick them up." The Portuguese had a huge influence on African cooking. Posted for ZWT. *Cooking time includes storage/wait time in fridge.*
- Combine all of the ingredients except the garlic in a medium heavy saucepan and cook, stirring, over high heat for 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, remove from the heat, and let cool to room temperature.
- Pour into a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth.
- Strain through a fine-mesh strainer.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for 7 days before using.