Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Our high school team is the Pirates so this was a staple for a long time on Friday nights to eat before heading out to a football or basketball game. It is equally as good with leftover chicken or roast beef or ham.
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans tuna (or equal amount of chicken, beef or ham)
- 3 eggs
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 4 slices American cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded swiss cheese or 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, your choice (we like swiss with chicken or ham or cheddar with tuna or beef)
- 2 -3 cups cooked leftover mashed potatoes (or instant cooked)
- Beat eggs slightly.
- Add to separated tuna chunks or other meat cut into chunks.
- Add mushrooms and parsley.
- Place mixture it bottom of greased 9 inch pie pan.
- Top with tomato slices.
- Cut cheese slices into triangles and arrange over tomatoes.
- Frost with mashed potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned and cheese melts.
- Cut it wedges and serve immediately.
I came home from a long day at work, desperate for some good comfort food...this definitely fit the bill. I made mashed potatoes from scratch, with sour cream and lots of pepper. I used tuna and cheddar cheese...it was very nice. Thanks for sharing this recipe (Go Pirates!).
The directions are clear and easy to follow, but this recipe is very bland made with tuna. If I make it again, I will try ham next time. :-(