Recipe by Baby Kato
It doesn’t get any better than this, a tender, fragrant Spice Cake, served with Vanilla Ice Cream & Golden Peaches in Rum Sauce. Truly a dessert fit for the Captain and his crew.
Top Review by Annacia
One of the best cakes I can remember making. The only word I can think of to best describe the texture is delicate. It made a beautifully soft and fine textured that was moist and delicious. In fact the cake was so light that I was concerned that the ice cream might be too heavy as a topping and that the soft ice cream (homemade vanilla) might quickly soak into it making the cake soggy. What I did was to serve the cake with the ice cream and peach topping in a dish on the side to be eaten with the cake. I will certainly make this perfectly spiced cake again but I'll just drizzle a bit of caramel sauce on it.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup golden raisin (chopped)
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
Golden Peaches in Rum Sauce
- 1 (796 ml) canned peach slices, drained (reserve 3 tbsps for sauce)
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons peach juice (reserved, see above)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum
Directions See How It's Made
- Spice Cake:.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Generously grease and flour a Bundt cake pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, pudding mix, spices and salt, mix well.
- Now add the eggs, sour cream, evaporated milk, vegetable oil and beat for 2 minutes, make sure it is well blended, then mix in the raisins and spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 38 to 43 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Make sure to check cake at the 35 minute mark to see if it is neccessary to continue baking.
- Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes and then invert the baked cake onto the rack and allow too cool completely.
- Golden Peaches in Rum Sauce:.
- While the cake is baking start the sauce, put a saute pan on medium heat and melt the butter.
- Now, add reserved peach juice, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla, stir until dissolved.
- When dissolved add the peaches and rum and cook until sauce is thickened, about 6 -10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly. May be served warm or at room temperature.
- When ready to serve, slice the cake, add a scope of vanilla ice cream if using and cover with the golden peaches in rum sauce.