1/5 Photos of Pirates Bounty Bread Pudding
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 5 mins
"Arrrg, mateys! Tis treasure ye seek, then Caribbean treasure ye will find in me proud beauty of a pudd'n!" This is a pirate's take on bread pudding, created for the Raiders of the Lost Pantry cooking contest. I think this would taste equally good if candied orange peel were to be substituted for the candied ginger (or maybe both!). I purposely made it a small yield recipe so that I could play with it without wasting a large pan of bread pudding, but it probably doubles or triples well, as do most bread puddings. Be sure to save the syrup from the candied ginger, as it makes a most amazing addition to many things, including pancakes, cocktails, and ice cream. YUM! You can save time by using store bought candied ginger. Cook/Prep time doesn't include drying time for the candied ginger.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the CANDIED GINGER
FOR GINGERED RUM RAISINS (divided use)
- 2 tablespoons ginger, peeled and julienne
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons raw sugar
FOR BREAD PUDDING
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons rum (from the Gingered Rum Raisins)
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups bread, stale & cubed
- 1 tablespoon gingered rum raisins, drained
- 1 tablespoon candied ginger, minced
- 1FOR CANDIED GINGER:.
- 2Place ginger slices in small heavy saucepan and add the sugar and water.
- 3Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes until ginger is tender and liquid is a bit syrupy.
- 4Drain ginger (save the syrup, it's wicked good!) and dredge the slices in sugar. Set on rack to dry completely. To speed things, a 250 degree oven works.
- 5FOR GINGERED RUM RAISINS:.
- 6In a small non-metal bowl, combine julienned ginger and rum. Let steep for one hour. Add raisins, honey & sugar and set aside for at least 15 mintues.
- 7FOR BREAD PUDDING:.
- 8Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 9In a bowl, combine the beaten eggs with the sugar, honey, salt, vanilla and 2 Tbsp liquid from the Gingered Rum Raisins. Whisk to combine.
- 10Add the two milks and the melted butter. Whisk to combine.
- 11Butter a ceramic baking dish or loaf pan. I used a 2 cup 7x5 Le Creuset Classic Baker. Add half the bread cubes.
- 12Sprinkle 1 Tbsp rum raisins and 1 Tbsp minced candied ginger over the bread cubes. Add the remaining bread cubes.
- 13Carefully pour milk mixture over the bread cubes. Gently push the cubes down into the liquid so it begins to absorb evenly. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- 14Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned and the pudding is set. Center will still be a bit jiggly.
- 15Serve warm or cold. To serve, top each portion with some of the reserved Gingered Rum Raisins and candied ginger. Drizzle honey over the top (it helps to warm the honey so it will drizzle lightly).
- 16OPTIONAL: add a very,very light sprinkle of FRESHLY ground nutmeg over the top. Don't use pre-ground (yuck!) --.
- 17A scoop of homemade vanilla bean ice cream takes this over the top!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pirates Bounty Bread Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (307 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 583.6
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 160.5 mg
- Sodium 296.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 93.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 68.8 g
- Protein 10.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: