Prep 3 hrs
Cook 15 mins
A childhood favorite. Nothing compares to Grandma's warm Piragis!
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 2 cups whole milk, scalded
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 6 cups flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bacon, finely diced
- 1⁄2 lb ham, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- salt & pepper
- Fry bacon and ham in pan for about five minutes. Drain and cool in fridge.
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water and sugar. let stand 10 minutes.
- Scald milk in a saucepan.
- Add sugar, salt, and butter. Allow mixture to cool until it is lukewarm.
- Add 3 1/2 cups flour, sour cream, egg yolks and yeast.
- Beat with spoon until smooth and shiny.
- Cover bowl and let rest for 1 hour.
- Turn out on floured board and gradually add remaining flour kneading until dough is elastic.
- Let rise another 45 mins Preheat oven to 400.
- Roll out dough until about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut circles into dough. A small drinking glass is ideal size.
- Spoon 1 tsp of filling on to each circle.
- Fold over. Press and tuck under seam.
- Place rolls on greased cookie sheet and brush with beaten egg.
- Let rise about 20 minutes.
- bake at 400 for 10 mins or until golden brown.
This is the exact recipe my Latvian grandmother taught me when I was young and now I'm teaching it to my children. These are so yummy everyone you share them with will be begging for this recipe. It is a little time consuming, but definitely worth it!!