Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Very flavorful frittata that features zucchini but would be equally delicious substituting asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower or yellow summer squash.
- 5 whole eggs
- 7 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded fat free mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced mushrooms (about 6 oz)
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 3⁄4 cup chopped bottled roasted red pepper, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- In a medium bowl combine the eggs, egg whites, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a few grindings of black pepper and stir in the mozzarella.
- Lightly coat a large oven-safe nonstick skillet with cooking spray and warm over medium heat.
- Add the onions and mushrooms and cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, red peppers, thyme, 1/4 teaspoons salt and pinch black pepper. Cook the mixture, stirring, 4 minutes.
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and cook over medium-high heat for 7 minutes. As the eggs begin to set, run a spatula around the edges and tilt the skillet to allow any uncooked egg to run under the cooked portions.
- Do not stir. When the eggs are almost set, cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the eggs are set.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Sprinkle Parmesan on top of the eggs. Broil the frittata for 4 minutes or until the Parmesan is lightly browned.
- Cut the frittata into 6 wedges and serve.
We had this easy to make friattata for dinner last evening. My dh & I enjoyed it very much. I had the rest for breakfast this morning. Very good hot or cold. Easy to make, quick, tasty and good for you. Thanks so much for sharing LondonKarma.