Recipe by LondonKarma
Very flavorful frittata that features zucchini but would be equally delicious substituting asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower or yellow summer squash.
Top Review by Baby Kato
We had this easy to make friattata for dinner last evening. My dh & I enjoyed it very much. I had the rest for breakfast this morning. Very good hot or cold. Easy to make, quick, tasty and good for you. Thanks so much for sharing LondonKarma.
- 5 whole eggs
- 7 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded fat free mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced mushrooms (about 6 oz)
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 3⁄4 cup chopped bottled roasted red pepper, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl combine the eggs, egg whites, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a few grindings of black pepper and stir in the mozzarella.
- Lightly coat a large oven-safe nonstick skillet with cooking spray and warm over medium heat.
- Add the onions and mushrooms and cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, red peppers, thyme, 1/4 teaspoons salt and pinch black pepper. Cook the mixture, stirring, 4 minutes.
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and cook over medium-high heat for 7 minutes. As the eggs begin to set, run a spatula around the edges and tilt the skillet to allow any uncooked egg to run under the cooked portions.
- Do not stir. When the eggs are almost set, cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the eggs are set.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Sprinkle Parmesan on top of the eggs. Broil the frittata for 4 minutes or until the Parmesan is lightly browned.
- Cut the frittata into 6 wedges and serve.