This is a cajun recipe that I originally found somewhere on the 'net but have made some modifications. I serve this as a side-dish, but it could probably be used as a main dish as well. Recipe is very spicy, feel free to adjust to your own preference.
- 4 -8 ounces butter (as much as needed for sauteing vegetables)
- 3 large onions, chopped fine
- 2 celery ribs, chopped fine
- 2 medium bell peppers, chopped fine
- 4 medium eggplants
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 -6 dashes Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 16 ounces canned crabmeat
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- grated parmesan cheese, as needed for topping
- breadcrumbs, as needed for topping
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven or other large heavy pot.
- Add onions, peppers and celery.
- Cook until the vegetables are very soft, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the eggplants and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Place them in a pot and cover with water.
- Bring to boil and boil slowly for a few minutes, just until they are tender.
- Drain well and puree until smooth in a food processor or blender.
- Add the eggplant puree, seasonings, herbs and the juice from the canned crab (if any) to the vegetable mixture, return to simmer and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the crab meat (picked over of course to remove any shell) and cook just long enough to heat through.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the green onions and the parsley.
- Spoon the hot mixture into a casserole or individual ramekins, if desired.
- Sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs.
- Place under broiler just long enough for cheese to melt, and serve immediately.