1/1 Photo of Piquant Crab and Eggplant (Aubergine) Dressing
1 hr 5 mins
This is a cajun recipe that I originally found somewhere on the 'net but have made some modifications. I serve this as a side-dish, but it could probably be used as a main dish as well. Recipe is very spicy, feel free to adjust to your own preference.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -8 ounces butter (as much as needed for sauteing vegetables)
- 3 large onions, chopped fine
- 2 celery ribs, chopped fine
- 2 medium bell peppers, chopped fine
- 4 medium eggplants
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 -6 dashes Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 16 ounces canned crabmeat
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- grated parmesan cheese, as needed for topping
- breadcrumbs, as needed for topping
- 1Melt the butter in a Dutch oven or other large heavy pot.
- 2Add onions, peppers and celery.
- 3Cook until the vegetables are very soft, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, peel the eggplants and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- 5Place them in a pot and cover with water.
- 6Bring to boil and boil slowly for a few minutes, just until they are tender.
- 7Drain well and puree until smooth in a food processor or blender.
- 8Add the eggplant puree, seasonings, herbs and the juice from the canned crab (if any) to the vegetable mixture, return to simmer and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 9Add the crab meat (picked over of course to remove any shell) and cook just long enough to heat through.
- 10Remove from heat.
- 11Stir in the green onions and the parsley.
- 12Spoon the hot mixture into a casserole or individual ramekins, if desired.
- 13Sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs.
- 14Place under broiler just long enough for cheese to melt, and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Piquant Crab and Eggplant (Aubergine) Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (464 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 354.0
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 107.9 mg
- Sodium 973.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.7 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 21.3 g