Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Here's another recipe from THE BEST OF COOKING by Arne Kruger & Annette Wolter, this time a great make-ahead summer salad full of color, flavor & textural crunch that is ideal for patio grill party, picnic, camping & potluck occasions. The recipe suggests a mildly-flavored & not very hard cheddar cheese, but allows for subs such as Gouda or Monterey Jack. (Please see note that follows the prep) *Enjoy*
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese (cut in small cubes)
- 2 small onions (sliced in rings, or 3-4 boiling size onions sliced in rings)
- 6 ounces salami (diced, may sub pepperoni)
- 4 small tomatoes (seeded & diced)
- 6 sweet gherkins (cut in 1/4-in slices)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces pineapple chunks (diced)
- fresh chives (chopped, garnish) (optional)
- In a serving bowl, mix cubed cheese, onion rings, diced salami, diced tomato & sliced gherkins.
- In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, pineapple juice, Tabasco, pepper, olive oil & diced pineapple chunks. (I use a glass jar w/a tight lid & just shake to combine).
- Just b4 serving, toss salad in dressing & serve garnished w/chopped chives as desired.
- NOTE: To make ahead & avoid a mushy cheese effect, follow same prep except DO NOT include diced cheese in the mix of Step 1. Store the cheese ready to use in a sandwich bag or refrigerator container & combine w/salad ingredients at the same time the dressing is added just before serving.
What a strange combination but the flavor was just wonderful. Easy to put together. The only thing I'll do different next time is maybe chop the onions because it will be easier to eat. Thanks twissis. Another of your greats.
I've made this up for this afternoon. Having some friends by. I'm going to have to make more, becuause DH and I have been "taste testing" the first batch! Excellent flavor, easy to make. Yum Yum Yum!