Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Luke Nguyen"s Vietnam. He used pippies (which are in the same family as cockles and clams). Times are estimated.
- 1 lemongrass (stalk bruised and sliced into 5cm lengths)
- 1 cup water
- 500 g cockles
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic (finely diced)
- 1 tablespoon red shallot (finely diced)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon potato starch (mixed with 1 tablespoon water)
- 2 chilies (long deseeded finely sliced into strips)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- basil leaves (Asian 2 handfuls)
- In a saucepan bring water to the boil, add lemongrass and pippies and cover and cook until pippies open slightly (roughly 4 minutes).
- In a bowl, add sugar, fish sauce and oyster sauce and mix until sugar dissolves and set aside.
- Strain the pippies, reserving the broth.
- Heat a wok to high, add oil, garlic and red shallots, followed by the pippies, and then wok toss for 1 minute.
- Add the sauce and 3 tablespoons of the pippie broth and toss for a further minute and then add the dissolved potato starch and then add the chilli, pepper and asian basil and toss to combine.
- Enjoy with a beer.