Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
These flavorful tortillas were used at the bakery for our breakfast burritos, which had scrambled eggs, cheese, salsa, fried potatoes, and sour cream. I also use them to make bean burritos, quesadillas, and as an accompaniment with a bowl of pinto beans.
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2⁄3 cup water
- Combine flours, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in the oil and water all at once, using mixer or a fork, and toss quickly.
- When dough can be gathered into a soft mass, turn onto floured surface and knead a few times.
- Form 8 balls of dough, dredge in flour, and store in a plastic bag to prevent drying until ready to be used.
- Flatten first ball of dough into a disk.
- Roll out dough on floured surface until 7 inches or larger with even strokes that do not reach to the edge, turning over frequently.
- Place tortilla in ungreased, frying pan that has been preheated to medium-high heat.
- Cook 30-40 seconds on one side, turn over with spatula and cook 30-40 seconds on other side., First side should be pale and sprinkled with brown spots and the other side will be blotched.
- Repeat process with other balls of dough.
- Stack tortillas on a plate as they are cooked and cover them with a dish towel, which will keep them soft.
AWESOME!!! I eat tortillas almost every single day, often for more than one meal, and I was SO happy to see an easy recipe for healthy wheat ones! My first batch turned out a little crispy, so I tried again and just added less flour (I think the first time I rolled them in too much flour) and they were fine. I'm making quesadillas with them tonight---black bean, spinach and avocado. Thanks troy!!!
This was an excellent recipe, and it's convenient to be able to make the dough ahead of time and pull a ball out to make it fresh when I want it. I used whole wheat pastry flour and a commercial whole wheat flour mix instead of regular whole wheat and white.
Very simple, especially with my stand mixer. My hubby will devour these when he gets home :) He's the Tortilla Monster :) haha