From Epicurious.com. Very traditional mesoamerican ingredients combine for a rich textured dish typical of Puebla, Mexico. This is a mild, layered sauce. Feel free to adjust the seasoning to make it your own - you can omit the cilantro, choose a hotter or milder chile, or remove the chicken skin and bones before serving. Most of the sauce preparation takes place while the chicken is simmering. For a quick meal after a long day, the chicken and the sauce can also be made ahead of time, with the final steps of the dish taking only a few minutes to heat and assemble.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups water
- 6 chicken thighs, with skin and bones
- 1/4 large white onion
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 3 large sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cups pumpkin seeds, shelled
- 6 peppercorns, whole black
- 12 ounces tomatillos, husked, rinsed, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 medium serrano peppers, chopped with seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons corn oil
- 1For chicken, bring all ingredients to boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered until chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes. Then, transfer chicken to bowl; cover to keep warm. (Remove skin and bones if desired.) Reserve chicken broth in pot; spoon off fat from surface.
- 2Meanwhile, begin the sauce by heating heavy large skillet over medium-low heat. Add pepitas; stir frequently until seeds puff and begin to pop, about 15 minutes. (Be patient; do not brown). Transfer to dish; cool.
- 3Set aside 2 tablespoons pepitas for garnish. Working in batches, finely grind remaining pepitas with peppercorns in spice mill or coffee grinder.
- 4After the chicken is cooked, puree tomatillos, next 5 ingredients, and 1/2 cup reserved chicken broth in blender until almost smooth. (If you're preparing the meat and sauce to be assembled later, stop here.).
- 5Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomatillo mixture and simmer until sauce is thick and reduced to 1 cup, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- 6Heat remaining 4 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add ground pepita mixture. Stir constantly until mixture resembles very coarse paste and begins to color in spots, about 9 minutes.
- 7Add tomatillo mixture; stir 1 minute.
- 8Add 2 cups reserved chicken broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until sauce is thick, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes longer.
- 9Season sauce to taste with salt.
- 10Spoon some sauce onto platter. Top with chicken. Spoon remaining sauce over. Garnish with reserved 2 tablespoons pepitas.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pipián Verde Con Pollo (Chicken in Green Pumpkin Seed Sau
Serving Size: 1 (409 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 473.9
- Calories from Fat 333
- Total Fat 37.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 78.9 mg
- Sodium 859.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 26.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: