This is a recipe I created Easter 2013 which was the highlight of our camping weekend. Absolutely delicious with a cold beer or light Savignon Blanc. I think the non negotiable ingredient is the red onion. I ran out of red onions and used 1/2 a brown onion and the result was not quite so impressive. Quantities are approximate, but the aim is to have a slightly thick, pourable batter consistency.
- Put first 6 ingredients into a bowl.
- Stir to mix well.
- Add the milk to achieve desired consistency.
- Add heaped tablespoon lots into frying pan and fry until golden brown. Flip and cook until golden on both sides.
- Serve with a squeeze of lime juice.
- Finger licked good.
- NB: You could use any similar shellfish but the beach we camped at only had pipis.