- 16 whole taco shells
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 (4 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans or 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1 head green leaf lettuce, sliced very thin
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved (or diced regular tomatoes)
- 1 cup grated cheese, cheddar or 1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon ranch dressing mix (optional)
- extra hot sauce (optional)
- crushed tortilla chips (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat taco shells according to package directions. Set aside.
- Brown ground beef until fully cooked. Drain excess fat, then add taco seasoning, tomato paste, beans and hot water. Stir to combine, then add salt as needed. Keep warm.
- To make the dressing: Mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream, salsa, ranch dressing mix and hot pepper sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding salt and pepper if it needs it.
- To build the tacos, first fill the shell with plenty of lettuce. Spoon on some of the meat mixture, then add tomatoes and cheese. Top with a light drizzle of the dressing and serve immediately.
- Optional: add a little of the dressing on top of the letuce before adding the meat.