Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Perfect for a cold winter day! Spice it up or down, depending upon your tastes. We like it SPICY and served with fresh mozzarella cheese over toasted ciabatta rolls. So good! Preparation on this is super easy, but allow plenty of time for cooking.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 -6 lbs chuck roast, whole
- salt and pepper
- 32 ounces beef stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) jar pepperoncini peppers, With Juice
- 1 (16 ounce) jar cherry peppers, Drained (hot)
- 8 ounces pimientos
- 16 rolls, Buttered & Toasted (optional)
- 16 slices provolone cheese or 16 slices mozzarella cheese
- ***NOTE: This recipe can easily be halved!
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy, large dutch oven over high heat. Salt and pepper the chuck roast on both sides, then sear each roast until deep golden brown on both sides, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Remove roasts from pot and set aside on a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Pour in beef stock, whisking to scrape the bottom of the pan. Pour in crushed tomatoes, pepperoncinis (with the juice), and the drained hot cherry peppers. (NOTE: You can use whatever jarred peppers you like!) Stir to combine, then add the roasts back to the pot.
- Place the lid on the pot and place the pot in the oven. Cook for 4 hours, or until meat is fork tender. If it's not, return the pot to the oven for another 30 to 45 minutes, or until it's falling apart. If you have time, allow the pot to cool slightly, then place it in the fridge for several hours to allow fat to harden at the surface. Use a spoon to scoop out the hardened fat (some fat is okay!) then heat it up again on the stovetop.
- When the meat is heated again, remove the roasts to a cutting board. Use two forks to shred it into big chunks, then return the meat to the cooking liquid. Serve on toasted deli rolls with cheese melted on top (with extra peppers over the cheese!) You can also serve it with mashed potatoes or noodles.
- ***The liquid is quite spicy, but if you use a slotted spoon it will keep it pretty mild.