Pioneer Woman takes a childhood comfort food and makes it into a grown-up favorite.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups macaroni
- 8 tablespoons butter (Salted Butter)
- 2 whole medium onions, Cut In Half And Sliced Thin
- 10 slices regular bacon
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease (reserved From Bacon Slices)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 whole egg yolks, Beaten
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- 4 ounces chevre cheese (soft Goat Cheese)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Cook macaroni for half the time of the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- 3Fry bacon until slightly, but not overly, crispy. Drain on a paper towel. Reserve grease.
- 4Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a skillet and then saute onions over medium-low heat for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown and soft. Set aside.
- 5In a pot, melt 4 tablespoons butter (and add 1 tablespoon of the reserved bacon grease for good measure!). Sprinkle in flour and whisk to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat for 1 minute. Pour in milk and half & half, then cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until thick. Reduce heat to low. Add salt & pepper to taste. (Do not undersalt!).
- 6Beat egg yolks and drizzle 1/4 cup hot mixture into the yolks, stirring constantly. Stir to combine. Pour egg mixture into sauce and cook for another minute.
- 7Add cheeses and stir until melted. Add onions and bacon and stir. Taste for seasonings and add more salt if needed. Add cooked macaroni and stir to coat.
- 8Pour into a baking dish and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until sizzling and hot.
- 9*NOTES* To make this more kid friendly and a little more frugal, I use Sharp Cheddar, Mozzarella, Monetary Jack and Cream Cheese for the cheeses.
- 10I also find it easiest if I measure out and prepare all the ingredients first before I even begin cooking.*.
Browse Our Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pioneer Woman's Fancy Macaroni
Serving Size: 1 (149 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 442.8
- Calories from Fat 250
- Total Fat 27.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.3 g
- Cholesterol 94.1 mg
- Sodium 382.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 14.7 g