Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Pioneer Woman takes a childhood comfort food and makes it into a grown-up favorite.
Make and share this Pioneer Woman's Fancy Macaroni recipe from Food.com.
- 4 cups macaroni
- 8 tablespoons butter (Salted Butter)
- 2 whole medium onions, Cut In Half And Sliced Thin
- 10 slices regular bacon
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease (reserved From Bacon Slices)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 2 whole egg yolks, Beaten
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated Fontina cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- 4 ounces chevre cheese (soft Goat Cheese)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook macaroni for half the time of the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Fry bacon until slightly, but not overly, crispy. Drain on a paper towel. Reserve grease.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a skillet and then saute onions over medium-low heat for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown and soft. Set aside.
- In a pot, melt 4 tablespoons butter (and add 1 tablespoon of the reserved bacon grease for good measure!). Sprinkle in flour and whisk to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat for 1 minute. Pour in milk and half & half, then cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until thick. Reduce heat to low. Add salt & pepper to taste. (Do not undersalt!).
- Beat egg yolks and drizzle 1/4 cup hot mixture into the yolks, stirring constantly. Stir to combine. Pour egg mixture into sauce and cook for another minute.
- Add cheeses and stir until melted. Add onions and bacon and stir. Taste for seasonings and add more salt if needed. Add cooked macaroni and stir to coat.
- Pour into a baking dish and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until sizzling and hot.
- *NOTES* To make this more kid friendly and a little more frugal, I use Sharp Cheddar, Mozzarella, Monetary Jack and Cream Cheese for the cheeses.
- I also find it easiest if I measure out and prepare all the ingredients first before I even begin cooking.*.