Nancy's Pantry's Note:
Recipe is from Ree Drummond -- sounds so decadent and delicious. Everyone deserves a splurge now and then!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb white button mushrooms, quartered (or cremini mushrooms)
- olive oil, for drizzling
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 8 slices bacon, thick-cut
- 2 yellow onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter (plus more for buttering the pan)
- 1 1/2 lbs macaroni noodles
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup Fontina cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 4 ounces gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 2Drizzle the mushrooms with the olive oil and then sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until deep golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Set aside. Turn down the oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Fry the thick slices of bacon until chewy, but not yet crisp. Chop up the bacon into bite-size bits. Set aside.
- 4In a large skillet over medium-low heat, saute the onions in 1 tablespoons butter, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- 5Cook the macaroni until just undercooked. Set aside.
- 6To make the sauce, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter in a large pot over medium heat. Sprinkle the flour, whisking to combine. Let the roux cook for a minute or so, whisking constantly. Then pout in the milk, whisking constantly. Cook the white sauce until thick and bubbly, 3-5 minutes. Next, add the half and half, 1 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoons pepper. Spoon some of the hot white sauce into the beaten eggs to temper them, stirring with a fork to incorporate the mixture without cooking the eggs. Pour the tempered eggs into the white sauce, stirring constantly as you add them. Add the fontina, gruyere, parmesan, and goat cheese. Stir until the cheese melts. Add the cooked macaroni and stir to coat. Splash in a little milk or hot water if needed for thinning.
- 7Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Layer on half the onions, half the macaroni, half the musrooms, half the gorgonzola and half of the bacon. Repeat layers, ending with the bacon. Bake until bubbly and hot, 20 to 25 minutes.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pioneer Woman's Fancy Mac and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (221 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 497.8
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 89.2 mg
- Sodium 477.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 22.4 g