Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This is a great recipe from the Pioneer Woman. She says it especially great at Thanksgiving because you can make it a day ahead of time and just remove it from the refrigerator on Thanksgiving to bake. She also loves butter and often uses more than the recipe calls for. It is delicious!
- 5 lbs potatoes, Russet or 5 lbs yukon gold potatoes
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened (or more)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter (optional)
- Peel potatoes and rinse off. Cut them in half or quarters into about the same size and place in saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover and cook until just done. Drain potatoes into a colander. Shake off the excess water from potatoes and return them to the saucepan you cooked them and place back on the burner. Turn the heat on low and mash potatoes.
- Turn the heat off and slice in the softened butter and cream cheese. Next add the half and half-start with 1/2 cup, then add more if needed, seasoned salt and pepper. Mash everything together. Add more half and half and seasoning if needed. PW says try not to oversalt but definitely don't undersalt!
- Spread mashed potatoes into a greased baking dish. If you like, slice 1/4 cup butter into pats and place on top of the poatatoes. (Pioneer Woman says you can never have enough butter.). Cover the dish.
- At this point you can bake it in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes or cover and refrigerate a day or two. If refrigerated, remove an hour before baking so the center can warm up and then bake as directed. PW says to bake it covered but she has baked it uncovered with no problems.
Great and easy potatoes! Made as written and they came out creamy like when I use a hand mixer, but I used a masher. Served these with lots of butter and salt. Made for Football Pool Win 2012-13.
These are great! One of her mashed recipes has 2 sticks butter to 5 lbs potatoes... 1/2 cup is enough! <br/>I add garlic powder or roasted garlic.
LOVED this recipe and so did my family. I added Chive cream cheese instead of the regular for extra flavor.