Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
One day, I stumbled across one of the best food blogs I've ever found. Pioneer Woman is FUNNY, a great photographer, and one amazing cook! Try this one--you won't be disappointed!
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb breakfast sausage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 diced onion
- 8 ounces rotel
- 8 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and pepper
- For Pizza Dough:.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups warm water in a bowl and sprinkle in yeast.
- Combine the flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
- With an electric mixer on low speed, drizzle in olive oil until combined.
- Add water and yeast mixture slowly until ball forms.
- Let it rise for 1 to 2 hours or can be refrigerated for 2 days.
- To Make Calzones:.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- In a large skillet brown ground beef, sausage and onion over medium heat. Drain excess grease.
- Add Rotel and cook for 2 minutes remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Combine ricotta, mozzarella, monterey jack, and egg in a bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine cheese mixture with meat mixture.
- Divide dough into 8 equal balls. Roll into 6 inch circles.
- Place one-eighth of the mixture in the middle of each circle.
- Fold one half of the circle over and pinch the edges to seal. Brush with olive oil.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.