Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the Pioneer Woman. Feel free to add more or less sugar, salt and pepper to the dressing. Also add more of olives, onions, pickles or peppers, however much you like. You can also use canned pimentos in place of the red peppers.
- 946.36 ml macaroni
- 3 whole roasted red peppers, chopped
- 118.29 ml diced sweet and spicy pickle
- 118.29 ml black olives, chopped fine
- 3 whole green onions, sliced
- 118.29 ml mayonnaise
- 14.79 ml red wine vinegar or 14.79 ml distilled vinegar
- 14.78 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml salt
- plenty fresh ground black pepper
- 59.14 ml milk
- splash pickle juice
- Cook macaroni in lightly salted water till done. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Mix mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, milk and pickle juice in medium sized bowl.
- In large bowl place cooked macaroni. Add about 3/4's of the mayonnaise mixture to the macaroni. Next add the peppers, pickles, olives and onions. If needed, add the remaining dressing. Add a splash of pickle juice to the salad. The salad dressing will thicken up after refrigeration.
- Refrigerate for at least two hours before serving.
I made this recipe as written but we found that it was way under dressed. Good flavor if you could catch some of the dressing but not enough. After making, I doubled the dressing recipe and added it in. This probably could have used more. The original recipe is very dry and tastes like an under seasoned bland macaroni salad. I should have had a warring when she stated what she hates about pasta salad. Double or triple the dressing and this could possible be a good macaroni salad.
Aussie Swap #75: This is a flavorful and delicious twist on the standard macaroni salad - I love the sweetness from the pickle juice!
We enjoyed this easy to make macaroni salad. The mayonnaise, vinegar, pickle juice and sugar made a tasty dressing. I made this as written except that I didn't chop my olives, but left them sliced, and I used red onion instead of the green. After letting the salad chill and thicken for 2 hours, we decided that we like our macaroni salad with more mayonnaise, so I added a couple of extra spoonfuls and it was perfect. Next time, I think I might add some diced celery for a little added crunch. Thank you for sharing this yummy recipe.
**Made for 2012 Football Pool**