From the blog of The Pioneer Woman. It's yummy. I let the chicken in the marinade overnight.
Make and share this Pioneer Woman Ranch-Style Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- To begin, make the marinade. In a large bowl mix together 1/2 cup Dijon or country/grainy mustard with 1/2 cup honey, juice of 1/2 lemon, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and whisk until smooth. Sprinkle in some crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne if you like things a little spicy. Set aside.
- Next, rinse the chicken breasts, place between two sheets of waxed paper and pound to around 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick with a mallet. Next, add the chicken to the bowl with the marinade, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 1 to 3 hours.
- While the chicken marinates, fry up some bacon. When finished cooking, reserve 1/4 cup of the bacon grease and clean out the skillet.
- When the chicken is done marinating, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Remove the chicken from the fridge and pour off excess marinade. Heat half of the reserved bacon grease with an equal quantity of Canola Oil in the clean skillet over medium-high heat. When the grease is nice and hot add two or three pieces of chicken to it. Cook until brownish/blackish, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes per side. Remove chicken to a large baking sheet. If cooking many pieces of chicken, repeat skillet process and remove finished chicken to baking sheet. Place chicken in preheated oven and cook for about 10 minutes. Remove from over.
- Lay a few pieces of bacon over each chicken breast. Sprinkle shredded sharp cheddar cheese over the top of the chicken as generously as you like. Return pan to oven for an additional five minutes until cheese is melted and bacon is sizzling. Serve immediately.
This is a hit with my husband and kids. The marinade is wonderful. I do agree with another poster that frying it in bacon grease takes away a lot of the flavor of the marinade. I have made it with using the bacon grease and without, and without is by far a favorite here.
I scaled this back for using only 1 chicken breast for 2 people. We really enjoyed this sandwich! I used sesame topped buns from the grocery bakery and subbed swiss cheese slices for cheddar. I also put a slice of purple onion on each sandwich then wrapped them in foil for about 30 minutes before serving (like Ree suggested on the show). The sandwich is so big that 1/2 was perfect for me and about 300 cal which is not bad at all. I served it with her marinated tomato salad. The other 1/2 was perfect for lunch after I wrapped it in a paper towel and microwaved for 30 sec. Thanks for posting!
Pretty yummy stuff! My husband LOVED it, and my son & I thought it was pretty good. :) Can't go wrong with Pioneer Woman. I used Bacon in the Oven to cook the bacon.