1/1 Photo of Pioneer Woman Macaroni & Cheese
Made this just a few days ago and it is super Yummy! I don't think I'll make Mac and Cheese any other way. I really loved the hint of garlic. Although I'll probably cut back on the salt next time, my own fault. Otherwise make a batch and just dig in!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups macaroni (uncooked)
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick, 4 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard (more if desired)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 lb cheese (grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- cayenne pepper (optional, to taste)
- paprika (optional, to taste.)
- thyme (optional, to taste.)
- 1Cook macaroni until very firm. Macaroni should be too firm to eat right out of the pot. Drain.
- 2In a small bowl, beat egg.
- 3n a large pot, melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook mixture for five minutes, whisking constantly. Don’t let it burn.
- 4Pour in milk, add mustard, and whisk until smooth. Cook for five minutes until very thick. Reduce heat to low.
- 5Take 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly pour it into beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking eggs. Whisk together till smooth.
- 6Pour egg mixture into sauce, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth.
- 7Add in cheese and stir to melt.
- 8Add salts and pepper. Taste sauce and add more salt and seasoned salt as needed! DO NOT UNDERSALT. (Also becareful not to over salt.).
- 9Pour in drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine.
- 10Serve immediately (very creamy) or pour into a buttered baking dish, top with extra cheese, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.
- 11Either way YUM YUM YUM! (Try not to eat the whole pot!).
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pioneer Woman Macaroni & Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (204 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 675.4
- Calories from Fat 284
- Total Fat 31.6 g
- Saturated Fat 18.8 g
- Cholesterol 109.9 mg
- Sodium 1052.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 29.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: