Recipe by ChrissyVas80
Made this just a few days ago and it is super Yummy! I don't think I'll make Mac and Cheese any other way. I really loved the hint of garlic. Although I'll probably cut back on the salt next time, my own fault. Otherwise make a batch and just dig in!
- 4 cups macaroni (uncooked)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (1/2 stick, 4 tablespoons)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard (more if desired)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 lb cheese (grated)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- cayenne pepper (optional, to taste)
- paprika (optional, to taste.)
- thyme (optional, to taste.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni until very firm. Macaroni should be too firm to eat right out of the pot. Drain.
- In a small bowl, beat egg.
- n a large pot, melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook mixture for five minutes, whisking constantly. Don’t let it burn.
- Pour in milk, add mustard, and whisk until smooth. Cook for five minutes until very thick. Reduce heat to low.
- Take 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly pour it into beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking eggs. Whisk together till smooth.
- Pour egg mixture into sauce, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth.
- Add in cheese and stir to melt.
- Add salts and pepper. Taste sauce and add more salt and seasoned salt as needed! DO NOT UNDERSALT. (Also becareful not to over salt.).
- Pour in drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately (very creamy) or pour into a buttered baking dish, top with extra cheese, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.
- Either way YUM YUM YUM! (Try not to eat the whole pot!).